[Cnm] Ireton-Jones formula

Sandra Beil SBeil at eatright.org
Wed Aug 26 15:08:30 PDT 2009

The ADA Nutrition Care Manual® uses this formula as well when I chose ICU and burns as factors. If you use the NCM, check the main calculators page. Here is the reference:

Ireton-Jones, 1992 Equations2 (5):
Spontaneously breathing Ireton-Jones Energy Equation (s) = 629 - 11 (A) + 25 (W) - 609 (O)

Ventilator dependent Ireton-Jones Energy Equation (v) = 1925 - 10 (A) + 5 (W) + 281 (S) + 292 (T) + 851 (B)

Equations include age (A) in years, body weight (W) in kilograms (kg), sex (S, male = 1, female = 0), diagnosis of trauma (T, present = 1, absent = 0), diagnosis of burn (B, present = 1, absent = 0), obesity >30% above initial body weight from 1959 Metropolitan Life Insurance tables or Body Mass Index > 27 (present = 1, absent = 0).

5.  Ireton-Jones CS, Turner WW, Leipa GU, Baxter, CR.  Equations for estimation of energy expenditures in patients with burns with special reference to ventilatory status.  Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation 1992;13:330-333.

Sandra D. Beil
Nutrition Care Manual® Sales Manager
American Dietetic Association
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000